Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Forest Terrain Project

One of the things I've felt like my game table has been missing is a good set of trees. I've attempted to make some individual ones with varying results, but they seem to be unstable and tend to get knocked over during play. I decided to try out putting multiple trees on one large terrain stand, in an effort to keep them upright as well as quickly mobile as a unit.

This was my first attempt at making trees from wire, and I'm not especially pleased with the results. They seem too thin, and it's a bit difficult to hide some of the branches in the foilage. As such, these aren't quite finished...I still need to trim some of the excess wire, and paint some of it gray to match the trunks.

The forest was built on a 1/8" piece of hard board, with foam cuttings for elevation and rock. Rubble was done with kitty litter, and grass was a mixture of fine flock and static grass. I lightly sprayed a darker green on the tree foilage to break up the color.

Pictured are two of my son's (unfinished) Warriors of Minas Tirith.

I quickly discovered that clump foilage is a pain to deal with, as it tends to fall apart while you're working with it. I had enough branches formed from wire that I was able to kind of clamp large chunks in place until I could get the spray to dry and the foilage to harden.

A closeup of the boulder in the middle of the wood. I've found I really like making these with my hot wire foam cutter, and they're really easy to do!

More work to be done on this one, but I hope you enjoyed it!

Ranger322 out!

No comments:

Post a Comment